I have had these little frames on my tree for years! I always had the intention of filling them with photos, but never got around to it. This year, going with my theme of homemade ornaments, I thought it would be fun for the kids to draw pictures to fill the frames. They were so excited about it! I love that they are embracing the laid back kid decorated tree, as much as I am!
I had my littles draw whatever they would like to fill up the frames. We ended up with a few cats, a bigfoot and some of their watercolor paintings from the past, along with a few surprises.
Materials + Supplies
- Mini Frames or Frame Ornaments
- Paints, Pencil Crayons, Markers
If turning mini frames into ornaments …
- Clear String
- Hot Glue
- Cut pieces of paper to fit your frames or ornaments. Let your kids create masterpieces on the papers!
- Insert into frames or ornaments.
3. To turn mini frames (I bought mine in the dollar section of our local craft store), I cut about 5″ of clear string, placed a dot of hot glue on the back of the frame, then inserted the string ends into the glue + secured a small bit of ribbon over the string/glue. The frames have held up for years like this!
They turned out better than I could have hoped! Their pictures add a touch of whimsy to the tree and I love how proud they are that their artwork is on display. I filled 3 frames with simple little portraits of my littles and hid them all around the tree. I waited for them to find them and the look of sheer delight on their faces when they found theirs was priceless!